9.08.2008

Look what I made: DIY tee-shirt dress




Making this tee-shirt dress has turned out to be quite the adventure. I started with one ginormous grey tee-shirt and then a smaller pink tee shirt that I used as the accent color. The first step was to cut the sides of the grey shirt so that the tee-shirt would fit snugger. I'm lazy so I totally winged this step. If I were to do it again I would leave more room in the armpit area. Sew the side seam inside-out and try on.

The next step is to cut the belt out of your accent fabric. I decided to use the part of the shirt with the type which adds a nice graphic element. Once you sew the front and the back strips of the belt together try on both pieces to decide how far down the belt should go. Cut your tee shirt dress in half where the belt goes. Line up the good sides together and sew the belt to the top. Take your time figuring out which sides go together. It ended up taking me 3 tries to get it right. (Sometimes I can get in too much of a hurry)

The pockets were inspired by the accidental hole I cut into the shoulder. I needed something to cover up my mistake and the pockets ended up being a really nice touch. I put the straps in because the dress was falling off of my shoulders more than I wanted it to. Functional and cute! Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

I hope this inspires you to make something out of your old tee-shirts!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work!!! I can't wait to see what you do next!

michalgarcia.com said...

"I'm lazy so I totally winged this step."
You're funny Laura :-)