10.25.2008

Fused Plastic Fabric


A big part of my process is making sheets of fused plastic which essentially becomes the fabric for my bags. It is really cool to see what I get out of the bags. Happy mistakes happen often. On the flip side, this process can be time consuming and tiresome. This afternoon I made a big batch of plastic fabric. In fact, I think this is the biggest batch I've ever made. I had a revelation about how to streamline the fusing process.

Not all bags are created alike. When you try to pair two different bags together one shrinks and fuses differently than the other. This creates unpleasant buckles to work with. So I started to only fuse the same bag to itself. Also, I've found out that you don't have to cut the bag handles and sides. It works fine to just fold one bag into thirds, tucking the handles inside of itself. It creates smaller pieces as you can see in the picture with the Fred Myer bags. These will be great to do a patchwork kind of thing.

The results are beautiful! I can't wait to start making stuff.

No comments: