6.27.2009

Movie Cover Artwork: Everyone Copying Everyone

Nothing looks very original anymore.

I was searching through netflix and noticed how many of the covers look almost identical!! It's disappointing to me that the film indsutry is going through the motions cranking out these movies with little thought going into branding and visual identity. Now that I think about it, not a lot of thought went into the plots either.

None of these covers are very memorable because of their cookie cutter composition, type treatments, and photography direction. Perhaps this is an untapped niche for designers to make an impact. It would be awesome if Hollywood would hire designers that are willing to explore out of the normal safe zone.

It is unfair for me to say that the entire industry is like this because there are some cool things going on. I just wish they would be willing to push the art a bit more. Try something fresh. Thats all.

No comments: