2.26.2010

Tip for back and neck pain

Remembering to move...


As a graphic designer I've found that sitting still in a chair for 8 hrs is very hard on your neck, lower back, and hamstrings. It's something that nobody really talks about, but I'm pretty sure it affects a lot of people. I was recenetly rear-ended which has amplified my pain. My chiropractor recommended a timer to remind myself to get up and move every 30 minutes. I went home and immediately downloaded this free timer for macs. It's very easy to set it up to chime every 30 minutes. It's a subtle reminder to nod your head yes and no and stand up for a second to stretch and to be more aware of your body so that you can sit with correct posture. Ahhh!

Other tips that work for me:
Back bends such as camel pose to counter act the hunching forward. Laying on the edge of the bed with your head hanging off seems to do the trick for me too.
Ice the area that hurts for 20 min.
• Wet heating pads help relax tense shoulders. Here is a DIY tutorial on how to make your own.
Yoga is great for keeping the spine and overall body healthy. I use Yogatoday.com which gives me unlimited yoga classes streamed from the internet for 10$ a month.

What do you do to cope with your back/neck pain?

No comments: